Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Because I'm Swimming in the Rain

Hello! I meant to post sooner but I've been very tired lately, and it took a few days of sleeping 9/10 hours to get back to -relative- normalcy(: So, since I don't have much going on (I'm living in boring-ish life in an exciting country), I want to share some really cute/useful things that I've learnt in class (if you're not interested in Japanese, please skip this post).

Because

Ok, the first is actually useful. It's the difference between ので(no de) and から(kara). ので is used when you're talking about the consequence of something, so it's like a statement. It's essentially 客観的;きゃっかんてき(kyakkanteki - objective). On the other hand, から is when you're providing a reason to do something and can be followed with a suggestion. So it's 主観的;しゅかんてき(shukanteki - subjective).

Plus, ので is generally used for personal reasons, while から is used for a more general reason.

I'm Swimming

This is about particles, but there's a picture!



So if you look at the picture, you'll see that for swimming, you can use を(wo) andで (de). And there's a big difference. If you look at the arrows, you'll see that を connotes direction. So to say 海を泳ぐ(umi wo oyogu - (I'm) swimming in the ocean), you kind of imply that you're swimming to somewhere (another country?). On the other hand で is used to indicate a place, so the same sentence with this particle means that you're swimming in the ocean.

In the Rain

This is so very basic, but it's a cute illustration! If you can't remember the te-form of 降る;ふる(furu), just think of this picture:



If you look at the raindrops, you can see that I've drawn tiny little つ's on them. So that should be your visual reminder: it's with a tiny つ. So, it's 雨が降っています(ame ga futte imasu - it's raining).

Does all this make sense? I hope it does!