Monday, 12 August 2013

NaNoWriMo Prep: Writing From Within by Bernard Selling

Writing from Within is supposed to teach you how to write your lifestory, and from there, how to write creative fiction (at the very last section). To be honest, I'm way more interested in the creative fiction part.

But, while I was reading the book, something occurred in my life, and I had to write. It's a reaction of mine. So I actually got to implement some of the tools of the book immediately. You can read the results here and decide whether you think it helped me.

To sum up the book, it's a detailed guide that teaches you how to write down your story through the use of present tense and simple sentences. The style reminds me of Hemingway (ok, it reminds me of how people describe Hemingway). There are tips on how to write, how to re-write and even how to put in dialogue (which I found useful - but I haven't used it yet).

What I didn't really like, well, it's not really a complaint, but the book really emphasizes the simple style. I dislike purple prose as much as the next person, but I do appreciate a pretty turn of phrase. If all books read the same way, it would take out some of the sparkle of reading.

Did this book help me in my NaNoWriMo prep? The answer is, probably. What I'm thinking of writing this year is triggered by my experiences in Japan (ok, to be honest, most of what I write is triggered by some experience or the other), and this book could really help when I get stuck. I do like the idea of using writing to remember more.

Disclaimer: I got a free galley from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.