Sunday, 1 December 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Wrap-Up: I am a Winner!


The web badge is not lying, I am a NaNoWriMo 2013 winner! That makes it the second win in a row which is something I'm really delighted about! Especially since I started the week doubting whether I could make it to the 50k that all participants dream about.

My trip to Tokyo let me with a four day word-deficit (I don't even want to calculate how many words that is). But reading through Google+, and seeing people who managed to write many many words in a short span of time ( +Dennis Jernberg calls it 'Panic Time' and that's true!) gave me the encouragement to try again. So even though my mom and bro arrived on Wednesday, I managed to write 3000-4000 words a day, and more or less caught up.

Until Friday that is.

Da da dum.

On Friday, I went to meet my Aunt, Uncle and cousin (they were on a trip to Kyushu and that was their last day). We only met around 8 plus, and they came to my house as well. So by the time they left and I took a shower it was past midnight and I decided to sleep (I caved, I know). And on Saturday, I had to go out with my family to get a mattress and go to Kendo practice (More on all these stuff later).

That means I was left with one-and-a-half hours (I started around 10.30pm to write about 3400 words. I'm not sure what happened, but around 11.50pm, I managed to validate my manuscript and win NaNoWriMo!

Even though I won last year as well, I really do want to compare the two years (I changed the software I used, and there was a slight change in my writing methods), so there will probably be another post in a week or two, after I have had time to calm down and probably analyze what I did. But for now:

I WON NANOWRIMO 2013!!! :D

And this is my ending, written during Panic Time, in Panic Mode:

“So, I figured that the best thing would be to get you two together. Even if it makes the ending really cliched. But hey, a cliched happy ending is still a happy ending, and it’s cool that the Princess gets together with the Prince. Or at least, a member of nobility, seeing that Yuu is the younger son of nobility and I’m the Prince.”  

 “Are you ever going to forget the quest?” I think he’s more vested in this quest that I was.  
 “Nope. It was a good experience, although I still don’t fully get the point. But you look happier and that’s the important part. And now that you know how Yuu feels, you look even happier, just like Angela predicted.”  
 “Where is that girl anyway?” “She couldn’t get out of going to her family’s Church today. She’ll be coming over later today, latest tomorrow to congratulate the two of you anyway.” 
 “You two, I can’t believe it! I don’t know if I should be mad or grateful.”  
 “Be grateful” Yuu suggests and he pulls me closer.  
 So, even though it’s really cliched and corny and whatnot, this is where I’m going to end my story. Because like Ray says, happy endings are happy endings, even if they’re so cliched they can practically become a template for future stories and so sweet that they make your teeth fall out. That’s why we say “and they lived happily ever after.”